One fantastic mouse repellent that no one ever talks about is peppermint oil! It is a natural solution that will allow you to get rid of mice quickly and naturally. The smell of peppermint oil is very pleasing to humans. Some people even use it for cooking and to add flavor to meals. However, the smell is extremely irritating to rodents. It restricts their ability to use their sense of smell. In turn, they are unable to find food, communicate and avoid predators. Proper use of peppermint oil will drive any mouse away from your home. Have you seen my video about how to get rid of mice yet?This page will provide you with all the information you need to learn how to get rid of mice yourself. These home remedies will quickly eliminate all mice in your walls, attic and anywhere else in your house. Resorting to dangerous traps or poisonous chemicals is unnecessary. There are new options available that are just as affordable and efficient.
Peppermint Oil: More Than Just a Mouse Repellent
In addition to being a fast solution for getting rid of mice, peppermint oil also has dozens of other wonderful benefits. It is comprised of vitamins A and C, along with important omega-3 fatty acids, potassium, manganese, iron, magnesium and calcium. Peppermint oil is a natural method used to treat several problems such as:
- Getting rid of mice in your house without killing them
- Cures indigestion, dispels gas and soothes an upset stomach
- Clears the respiratory system for relief from colds, coughs, sinus congestion, sinusitis, asthma and bronchitis
- Inhaling peppermint oil provides relief from headaches
- Can be applied topically for pain relief
- Can be applied to a bath for soothing stress relief (my favorite application!)
- Also commonly used to remove dandruff or lice from the scalp
- Some people use peppermint oil to control acne outbreaks (I can not verify how well this works)
How to Use it For Getting Rid of Mice!
- Try to identify the areas where the mice are hiding out in your house. One way to figure this out is to look for mice droppings. Common areas for activity are behind the refrigerator, cabinets, drawers, and storage.
- Apply a few drops of peppermint oil to a cotton ball and begin leaving them in the troublesome areas. You’ll also want to leave some along walls and counter tops that they may be using as a pathway.
- Use caution when applying. Peppermint oil has a fantastic aroma but too much of it can irritate your throat and eyes.
- Replace the cotton balls every 4-6 weeks and your mouse problem will be eliminated forever (and your house will always smell wonderful)!
- Tip: You can also grow peppermint plants in your house (you can get seeds here) Used in conjunction with the oil, it creates a strong repellent that will also help to get rid of mice. The plants have many other beneficial uses as well.
Where to Get This Wonderful Repellent
The best prices I have been able to find on peppermint oil is at amazon. A 1-oz bottle has a pretty standard price of between $7-8 dollars. However, when using it to get rid of mice, I would recommend that you get at least a 4-ounce bottle. Don’t worry, this is where the savings comes into effect. A 4-oz bottle is currently under $15 dollars. This is a fantastic price when compared to the local stores that carry it!
We keep a 16 ounce bottle on hand at the Marshal household (around $40 dollars) because we use it for a lot of different applications. But if you don’t want to spend that much, you will still get great savings on the 4-oz bottle.
Once you get to that page, you’ll see the size options at the top. Choose the one that is best for you and you’ll be on your way to getting rid of those pesky mice for good!
More Tips about How to Get Rid of Mice Naturally
1. Keep your kitchen clean. Mice will always nest closest to their most reliable food source. If you eliminate their food supply, then they will have a lot less motivation to stick around. Keep food in air tight containers and wipe down your kitchen surfaces as often as possible.
2. Used kitty litter can be used as a mouse repellent. This is not the most attractive method for me but it is a home remedy that works quickly.
3. If you would rather use a trap to get rid of your mice, please use a humane one. There are traps that capture rodents without killing them. Once they are in the trap, you’ll need to release them far away from your house. Here is a very reliable catch and release trap.
4. Try an electronic mouse repellent. There are electronic units that use a frequency that will confuse and irritate mice. Humans cannot hear the sound and it is not harmful for cats and dogs. Here is the one I found with the best reviews.
5. Keep trash cans away from your house. Trash will attract mice to your home. Once they are close, they will surely find a way in. Make sure all of your garbage cans have tight fitting lids and keep them stored as far away from your home as possible.
6. Here is one final solution: Get a cat! Not all cats will hunt rodents but most of them will. Even if they do not actively pursue the mice, their presence will serve as a strong deterrent.
Help me spread the word about how to get rid of mice safely and naturally. If you enjoyed this information please share this page on your favorite social network.
Thanks and good luck!