You could not live without your dog or cat, but you could do without the pet hair and dander that covers the entire house! Having pets makes house cleaning even more difficult, and without the right vacuum you will spend lots of extra time getting your carpets and upholstery pet hair free.
As you’ll see below, pet hair does not discriminate. There were vacuum cleaners under $150 dollars that stacked up just as well (if not better) than many overpriced $500 dollar models! Before we get started, here are some factors to consider when choosing the right pet hair vacuum for your home:
– Upright vacuums offer excellent suction power and often include multiple attachments for cleaning upholstery and curtains.
– Bagged vacuums minimize the mess when emptying the vacuum but require you to purchase new bags when full. Bagless vacuums require no replacement bags but can be messy when emptied. If you suffer from allergies or asthma you may want to opt for a bagged vacuum. The list below includes both types to best suit your needs.
– Using a hand-held vacuum is a great way to clean up pet hair in between more thorough cleaning sessions. You can find the top-rated hand-held vacuums for cleaning up that unsightly pet hair below.
If you’re in the market for the best pet-hair vacuum, look no further.
#1 – Miele S7210 Twist Upright
(bagged vacuum) Price Range: $460-$500
The Miele S7210 Twist Upright Vacuum Cleaner features breakthrough SwivelNeck technology that lets you steer your upright with little more than a turn of your wrist. It even extends into a “flat-to-the-floor” position. So instead of moving furniture while vacuuming, you can go underneath and around it with ease. I am most excited about the control and responsiveness of this unit. It actually makes vacuuming fun!
- Patented SwivelNeck technology for extreme maneuverability
- Automatic height adjustment
- Air Clean Filter and Miele’s AirClean Sealed System
- Integrated dusting brush, upholstery tool and crevice nozzle
- Rotary dial speed control
Miele’s S7 210 vacuum cleaner features a unique electrobrush that follows the contours of your carpet and floor. It automatically adjusts for different surfaces and depths – providing consistent power and suction across all floor surfaces. If you suffer from allergies, then Miele’s AirClean system will be your best friend. It captures and retains 99.9% of debris, dust and allergens.
#2 – Dyson DC41 Animal Complete
(bag-less vacuum) Price Range: $500-$650
The Dyson DC41 Animal Complete is a Dyson Ball upright vacuum cleaner for powerful all-around dirt and pet hair removal. The machine’s cleaner head has an active base plate, which self-adjusts automatically for optimal contact with all floor types. On hard floors the base plate lowers to create an efficient seal, and the brush bar lifts clear off the floor to protect delicate surfaces. On carpet the base plate rises and the brush bar lowers for optimum bristle penetration – removing ground-in dirt and pet hair from different depths of carpet pile. And because the cleaner head adjusts automatically, there are no dials and you don’t need to bend down to make adjustments.
Dyson cyclones capture more dirt than any other cyclone. DC41 Animal has Radial Root Cyclone technology with remodeled air flows to maximize suction power. It also comes with a Mini turbine head to clean pet hair and dirt from confined spaces, upholstery, stairs and the car. DC41 Animal also has patented Ball technology. It turns on the spot, which allows you to maneuver more easily around obstacles and into awkward spaces. And because the motor and other key technologies are located in the ball, there are fewer components on the outside of the machine. This makes it easier to steer closer to edges.
Patented Dyson Technology: Dyson engineers are constantly testing and inventing, trying to find new ways to make their technology work better. As they work, they file patent applications to protect their inventions from copycat manufacturers. That’s why the only place you’ll find Dyson technology is inside a Dyson machine.
- 5 year parts & labor warranty when purchased from an authorized re-seller.
- Radial Root Cyclone technology: air-flows remodeled to maximize suction power.
- The strongest suction at the cleaner head- cleaner head self-adjusts for optimal contact, even on hard floors.
- Ball technology steers smoothly and turns on a dime.
- Lightweight and durable- engineered materials are selected for their strength and durability- less weight and bulk.
#3 – Hoover WindTunnel Pet Rewind +
(bag-less vacuum) Price Range: $140-$160
The Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Pet Rewind Plus is a powerful approach to cleaning pet hair off carpets and floors. If you love having pets but don’t like what they leave behind, this Hoover offers the solution with its wonderful features and technology.
Here’s what makes this Hoover so remarkable.
- Easy pet hair removal: Choose from the included pet tools that feature a special rubber material designed to effortlessly remove even embedded pet hairs in carpet or upholstery.
- Convenience is built-in: Power controls are placed at your fingertips. 27 feet of power cord eliminates the need for constant replugging while cleaning and rewinds with a simple tap. Easy belt change system and brushroll access allows for simple maintenance on this 17.8-pound vacuum.
- Simple storage: The folding handle allows for quick and easy compact storage even in apartments or smaller homes.
- Fold down handle makes storage a snap and ideal for small storage spaces
- Automatic rewind cord neatly winds the 27-feet cord back inside the unit for easy storage
- Brush roll shut off pedal makes it easy to go from carpet to hard floors
- System check indicator alerts the user when the rinsable filter, HEPA and Carbon filters need to be cleaned or checked
- On-board tools include pet hair turbo brush 12-inch extension wand, crevice tool and easy to clean pet furniture nozzle with rubber blades
#4 – Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Pet
(bagged vacuum) Price Range: $140-$160
Get your floors clean and have pets without the sights and smells – thanks to this vaccum that’s designed to help you minimize left-behind hair and odors.
Here’s what makes the Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Pet Upright vacuum cleaner so remarkable:
- Engineered for your house and its inhabitants: The upright’s powerful 12-amp motor delivers WindTunnel Technology suction to remove dirt from your carpets while the canister tackles all your above floor cleaning needs with a full compliment of attachments.
- Eliminates dirt and smells: The Activated Carbon HEPA Media Bag filters and traps 99.97% of dust and pollens down to 0.3 microns and carbon absorbs household odors, including those by your pets.
- Thoroughly thought out: This Hoover is engineered with you in mind. Fast and easy access to the bag with a one-touch bag door and Clean-Drop® bags that allow you never to come in contact with the dirt. Five different floor positions make it perfect for any room. A 30’ power cord means you won’t have to plug in and unplug all of the time.
- P.A.W.S Pet Approved Windtunnel system with Windtunnel Technology removes embedded dirt and minimizes blowback and scatter on carpet
- Activated Carbon HEPA Media Bag filters and traps 99.9-percent of dust and pollens down to 0.3 microns and carbon absorbs household orders
- One Touch bag door release gives you fast and easy access to the bag
- Clean-Drop Bag system is a simple one touch that releases the full bag directly into the trash, so you never have to touch the dirty bag
More of the Best Vacuum Cleaners for Pet Hair
Here are a few more worth looking into that scored very highly in my research process:
This is the most expensive vacuum cleaner on the list. It is an upgrade from the Meile S7210 that I purchased. It performed extremely well in the tests. The only reason I didn’t pick this vacuum to be #1 on my list is that I could not afford it. I’m not sure if this vacuum cleaner is in your price range or not but if you are looking to impress your friends, the Meile S2760 is the Rolles Royce of vacuum cleaners for pet hair.
I seriously considered listing this vacuum cleaner in the #3 spot in place of the Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Pet Rewind Plus. Based on performance, the Shark Navigator is every bit as good as the Hoover WindTunnel. The Hoover was just priced a little bit lower so I gave it the nod for the #3 spot. The Shark Navigator has a list price of $450 dollars but Amazon.com is offering a massive discount. The last time I checked it was under $250 dollars.
Bottom Line: The Shark Navigator Lift Away Upright is a fantastic vacuum cleaner and worth every penny. It is beautifully designed and offers some features that the Hoover does not. They are equals when it comes to picking up pet hair (and general cleaning duties) but you’ll have to decide which one fits your price range better. Either one is a great choice. This model has a couple of extra useful features and design differences. Plus it is just a little nicer to stare at
Best Handheld Vacuums for Pet Hair
- Hoover Platinum Linx Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Hair
- Eureka EasyClean Corded Handheld Vacuum
- Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Corded Vacuum